Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Who was, Who is, Who is to come..."

I love writing.
I do it a lot because it helps me to put my thoughts into coherent order. I love words and their beauty, both physically how they look on a page and the pictures they give your mind.
So today I was in one of those moods where I have to write but I'm not sure what exactly will come off the end of my pen. So I picked up my pen and started writing. What ended up coming out of my pen was a page and a half of truths that i believe about God. The first one that came to me was, "I believe that God is."
When I was finished writing I looked back at the top of my page and saw that sentence. I was awestruck. Not by my own writing but by that thought.
God Is.
There are incredible implications if you believe that statement to be true.
If God is... then who are you?
If God is... then why are you?
If God is... then why is there evil?
If God is... then where is He?
If God is... then......
Nothing is more frightening... nothing is more comforting... than knowing God is. The very fact that we can make such statement is incredible. God could have chosen to keep Himself to Himself. He doesn't need us... but He wants us. He wants us so much that He showed Himself and allows Himself to be found.
So many questions are answered and so many more created by that statement. But contained within that statement are the answers to every question we could ever ask. The simplicity of those two words is astounding. They beg to be studied. Those words, those two beautiful words, created in me a thirst to know... deeply, intimately, passionately, neverendingly... who God is.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were struck by the weight of that simple statement. For generations, people have pursued the implications of it, pondered the implications of it, and proposed how we might be changed because of it.

    Their written record exists in poetry, works of theology, Bible studies, commentaries, annotated Bibles, popular works, inspirational works and logs, journals and diaries of folks great and small.

    "God is..." is simple enough for a child and deep enough to spur writings that would last for centuries. And that's just among the ranks of those who believe.

    Keep adding your part to this body of work and you will be blessed.

    Padre

    ReplyDelete