Monday, April 22, 2013

Sanctuary dark and quiet. Eyes closed. Hands opened before me. The song starts and I sing along. 

{You provide the fire and I'll provide the sacrifice.}

The words stick in my throat as the enormity of what I'm praying hits me. 

You, the Eternal Father, the Holy Amen, the Pillar of Smoke and Fire, come and consume. What I lay before you is something that is part of me. It is so close to me I feel the heat of Your fire on my soul. What I lay before You I long to snatch up and preserve from Your fire because I love it. I love it when I should love You. I desire it like I should desire You. So here it is, on Your altar awaiting Your fire. Come and consume. Burn it until there is nothing but ashes left. Nothing of value or worth. Blow the ashes into the wind with the breath of Your Spirit. I long to desire You more than any other thing my eyes can see, my hands can touch, my ears can hear, or my tongue can taste. I will bear the heat of the blaze, the exquisite pain of being burned by You because I know that You will at last bring me forth as gold refined. 

Holy Fire, come and consume. 


No comments:

Post a Comment