Friday, February 15, 2013

A Knight in a Stetson

Sometimes I get this (completely wrong but very real) feeling that it's just me. That nothing will get done in my life unless I do it. That if I don't take care of me, nobody will. 

I know Jesus is always there, just like the Bible says. I know He loves me enough to die for me. I know that there is nowhere I can go that He can't see me. 

I know all that. In my head. But sometimes my heart feels alone. Like there's no one out there who really cares for my heart. 

But that's a lie straight from the enemy. And to prove that to me, Jesus sent me a Knight in Shining Armor. Let me tell you the story. 

It was Friday night and I was flying home for the weekend. I was excited about going home but it was late and I was exhausted from a long week and a major exam I had taken that morning. I had almost missed my departing flight and was still feeling like I was running behind. 
When I got to the layover airport, I ran around the entire thing at least twice because the gate kept changing. I'm a pretty seasoned flyer but I was rather frazzled by the time I reached the appropriate gate. I was icky and hot and hungry. So I went and found a Smoothie King and picked up a bottle of Naked. Everyone else must have had the same idea as I did because I swear half the airport was in line ahead of me. "That's fine," I thought. "I'll just stand here until I'm 90, breaking my shoulder with this backpack." 
Finally it was my turn to checkout. I put my little bottle on the counter and hand the girl my card. She runs it. And then runs it again. And then again. That sinking feeling hit my stomach. I had been having issues with my card- it would randomly work and then randomly not work, Apparently, this was a randomly not working day. 
"Do you have another card?" she asks. I shake my head. 
"Could you try it one more time, please?" I ask. Please, please work. She ran it again and shook her head. Be polite, it's not her fault. You didn't really need a drink anyways. I thanked her, apologized and put away my (worthless) card. The woman behind me in line sweetly offered to pay for my drink but I said no. "Thank you, ma'am but it's fine." And I walked away. 

I found an empty place on the hallway floor and sat where I could see my gate. I tried to calm down and not think about how thirsty I was. And tried to ignore the panic I felt rising up inside me. I was pretty much stuck in this place with no access to money. 
I had my head leaned back against the wall, staring at the carpet, when a pair of very polished cowboy boots stopped in front of me. "Excuse me, young lady." 

My head snapped up. "Yes, sir?" A huge white Stetson and a very well tailored suit screamed "rich Dallas businessman." What in the world? 
"Were you trying to buy something earlier?" WHAT?? Getting a little creeped out here. 
"Uhhh... yes sir?"  He reached into his briefcase and pulled out my abandoned blueberry Naked and a Cliff bar and handed them to me. What should I say? Should I take them? Never take things from strangers!  I opened my mouth to refuse and "Oh my gosh. Thank you, sir!" came out. 
"You're very welcome, ma'am." He picked up his briefcase and walked down the hall. And disappeared. 
I sat there holding the juice bottle, wondering if it was ok to drink it. After all it was from a stranger. 
Then that voice I have come to know as Jesus' said, "Hey, I love you." Thanks, Jesus. I know you do. 
"No. Tori, I love you.
And then I understood. He loves me. He saw me, a tired, sweaty, hungry mess on the airport floor. And He loved me. So He sent me a Knight in a white Stetson to show me how much He loved me. In a real, tangible way. I love when He makes a verse pop out that tells me how much He loves me. But its so spectacular when He shows it. 
And I promptly burst into tears. Right there in the middle of the airport.  

Y'all, Jesus loves. 

That's so simple and something we might say on a daily basis. But stop for a minute and really  think about what that means. 
I have no idea if that man have any idea that He was being the hands and feet of Jesus to me. But he was. 

Let's be Knights, people. Let's follow the promptings of the King of Love and be Knights to those around us. Because I want to be a part of making others feel the love of Jesus the way I did that night in the airport.  

No comments:

Post a Comment