Tuesday, September 11, 2012

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth

For some time now, I've been conscious of a burning in my soul for the persecuted church. I am still not entirely sure what to do with that knowledge but I know it has caused me to be much more aware of global happenings and how they affect the global church. It has also caused me to pray so much more than I ever did before.



I pray for the physical safety of the pastors and their congregations. I pray for spiritual awareness in the leaders. I pray for faithfulness for those who have lost everything because of their identification with the once broken, now resurrected body of Jesus. I pray for the children who grow up in such hostile places; who only know violence and fear.


I pray for unity in the church worldwide. But sometimes it seems like, no matter how many prayers are said, violence and the prince of the air still separate the bodies from the souls of the redeemed of God.



Recently, an Iranian brother, Pastor Youcef, was imprisoned.


 For 1,062 days he was held in an Iranian prison and told that he must recant or die. But he did not recant. So he was sentenced by the Iranian government to die. There were, in the course of his imprisonment, many campaigns for his release, including various government officials from all over the world and many civil rights activists who contended with the Iranian government for Pastor Youcef's life. A friend of mine faithfully tweeted the Voice of the Martyrs updates every day. And millions of people prayed.

The day of his execution drew near and I wondered what would happen on November 13. For three years, the release of the pastor had been demanded, but with no result. One day, as I read an update on his situation, I thought to myself, "He's going to die."  Like the millions of others, he was going to pay with his life for what he believed. I felt slightly angry with God for not intervening, for not honoring Youcef's steadfastness and commitment. God felt far away and impersonal as I sat at my computer in my little dorm room. Governments and parliaments, presidents and royalty, people with connections and money, they were fighting for his life. And they were so much more likely to get results than I was. Or so I thought.

Oh small mind! Oh weak faith! Did you so easily forget who holds the universe in one hand and the sparrow in the other? Have you forgotten the Father who mended your broken heart and caused it to sing again? Have you forgotten the One who fashions every tiny baby and writes their names on His hand? The One who sends His Spirit to people in the stronghold of darkness and awakens them to Life everlasting? The One who gives life to our breath and causes us to be living beings? He who said, "None shall pluck them from My hand..."?



I forgot Him, but He did not forget me. He did not forget Pastor Youcef. Though Pastor is still in police custody, he has had the death sentence revoked. Because God spoke through the words of the politicians and activists. Because He inhabited the prayers of His church. Because He is the Great I AM, sovereign over the affairs of men and angels. He sees the farthest star, the deepest ocean, the smallest ant, the highest mountain, and each individual person who draws breath. He heard our prayers for our brother. Your prayer. My prayer.

Church, He hears.    

No comments:

Post a Comment